What are belladonna and opium suppositories?

Belladonna and opium is a combination medication in suppository form, available by prescription only, and available under the brand names B & O Supprettes 15-A or B & O Supprettes 16-A. Belladonna and opium suppositories are both an analgesic and an anticholinergic (or antispasmodic). Belladonna helps to relax muscles that can cause spasms in the ureters -- the tubes that connect the kidney and bladder. Opium relieves the pain caused by these spasms.  Because opium is a narcotic, belladonna and opium suppositories have the potential to be abused.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...