Are there any risks in taking fentanyl citrate?

Using fentanyl citrate can be habit-forming as it is a narcotic. The skin patch form of fentanyl citrate can cause serious breathing problems, particularly within the first 72 hours of use. Let your doctor know if you have ever had breathing problems, asthma, lung problems, or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Any form of fentanyl may interact with certain other drugs to cause serious side effects, so make sure to tell your doctor about all drugs, vitamins, and supplements that you are taking. This drug also may make you lightheaded, drowsy, dizzy, or faint. To deal with this possible side effect be careful to rise, sit, and lay down slowly. There is also the risk that the drug can cause serious harm or death to children or pets who ingest this drug by accident. If anyone other than the person to whom the drug is prescribed touches or attaches to their skin the sticky part of the patch, they should remove the patch, wash the affected area thoroughly with water, and seek immediate medical attention. Because of these potential risks, the drug should always be stored in a locked cabinet out of the reach of children.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...