What are the risks of using fentanyl buccal tablets?

Taking fentanyl buccal tablets could make you very ill and could even be fatal if you are not an appropriate candidate for this drug or if you use it improperly. You should only be taking fentanyl buccal tablets if you are already receiving around-the-clock treatment for cancer pain with other opioid drugs. Fentanyl can be habit forming, so anyone using this drug must be monitored for signs of abuse and addiction. Using these tablets may cause mouth sores and other side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...