If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Onsolis?

The cancer pain medication Onsolis (fentanyl) may be risky during pregnancy, so experts say you should use it only if you and your doctor decide the benefits outweigh the potential dangers. Onsolis hasn't been studied adequately in pregnant women, but animal studies suggest it may sometimes cause problems for the developing fetus. Although no birth defects have been reported when pregnant women used Onsolis, fentanyl has been linked to temporarily slowed breathing, behavioral changes and seizures in newborn infants.

You should not take Onsolis during labor and delivery, because the drug may slow breathing in your newborn infant.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...