If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Fentora?

It's risky to take Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription medication used to treat breakthrough cancer pain, if you're pregnant. This drug hasn't been studied adequately in pregnant women, but its active ingredient, fentanyl, can cause health complications in newborns, such as seizure and breathing problems. Studies in pregnant rats also suggest fentanyl can cause miscarriage.

If you are pregnant and considering using this drug, talk with your doctor so you can weigh its risks to the developing fetus and its potential benefits to you.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...