If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Exalgo?

If you're pregnant, you should not take Exalgo (hydromorphone) unless your doctor feels that the benefits of taking it outweigh the potential risks. Exalgo, a strong opioid medication used to relieve continuous moderate to severe pain, has not been well studied in pregnant women, and research shows that it does cross the placenta and therefore may harm a developing fetus.

Studies also have found that babies born to mothers who used opioids regularly before delivery are dependent on the drugs and may experience breathing problems and withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...