If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Exalgo?

If you're pregnant, you should not take Exalgo (hydromorphone) unless your doctor feels that the benefits of taking it outweigh the potential risks. Exalgo, a strong opioid medication used to relieve continuous moderate to severe pain, has not been well studied in pregnant women, and research shows that it does cross the placenta and therefore may harm a developing fetus.

Studies also have found that babies born to mothers who used opioids regularly before delivery are dependent on the drugs and may experience breathing problems and withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...