If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Dilaudid?

If you're pregnant or you're thinking about having a baby, tell your doctor before using Dilaudid (hydromorphone). This drug is prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain. Dilaudid crosses the placenta, which means that babies born to women who use this medication will be exposed to it. Infants of mothers who take the medication regularly while pregnant will be born physically dependent on the drug and may experience withdrawal symptoms such as excessive crying, fever, tremor and vomiting. Pregnant women should use Dilaudid only if their doctors feel the benefits of this medication outweigh the risk to the developing fetus.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...