If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Actiq?

Actiq (fentanyl), a quick-acting lozenge for treating breakthrough cancer pain, poses risks for pregnant women. There have been no adequate studies of its safety in pregnant women. Infants born to mothers who took fentanyl, the active ingredient in Actiq, during pregnancy may have trouble breathing, behavior changes or seizures. Women in labor or having a Cesarean section should not be given this drug, because it passes through the placenta and may cause breathing problems in the newborn. If you're pregnant and have cancer and are experiencing breakthrough cancer pain even though you are taking regular opiate-type drugs, talk to your doctors about whether the benefits of Actiq outweigh the risks in your specific case.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...