If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Actiq?

Actiq (fentanyl), a quick-acting lozenge for treating breakthrough cancer pain, poses risks for pregnant women. There have been no adequate studies of its safety in pregnant women. Infants born to mothers who took fentanyl, the active ingredient in Actiq, during pregnancy may have trouble breathing, behavior changes or seizures. Women in labor or having a Cesarean section should not be given this drug, because it passes through the placenta and may cause breathing problems in the newborn. If you're pregnant and have cancer and are experiencing breakthrough cancer pain even though you are taking regular opiate-type drugs, talk to your doctors about whether the benefits of Actiq outweigh the risks in your specific case.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...