Is morphine safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Human studies have not been conducted on morphine's safety for pregnant or breastfeeding women. However, studies conducted on pregnant animals show that morphine increased the likelihood of low birth weight, slow development, small brain and decreased sexual maturation.

The FDA has categorized this medication as Class C in relation to its safety for pregnancy. Class C medications generally have shown a negative impact on animals who were pregnant. Morphine does cross the placenta and can cause addiction and withdrawal in newborn babies. Morphine will also pass through breast milk to your child. Therefore, it is best to talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking morphine while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...