Is methadone safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

Methadone is not recommended for use by pregnant or breast-feeding women. It is harmful to the fetus, and can increase the risk of death, sudden infant death syndrome, thrombocytosis, and jaundice. It can affect male reproductive function. Methadone can be passed to a developing fetus or nursing child and cause methadone dependency and symptoms of withdrawal. However, in the case of addiction to narcotic drugs, taking methadone is a better, safer choice than continued use of illegal drugs such as heroin.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...