What should I know about nalmefene hydrochloride before receiving it?

Pregnancy or breastfeeding may preclude you from taking nalmefene hydrochloride. In the event that you are unable to avoid receiving nalmefene hydrochloride while pregnant or breastfeeding, tell your doctor as soon as possible. In order to make an informed treatment decision, the doctor administering this medication should also know if you have any of the following medical conditions: liver or kidney disease, heart disease for which you take medication, or a history of narcotic addition. You will need to remain in the hospital long enough for doctors to determine that you have responded well to the nalmefene hydrochloride.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...