What should I know about nalmefene hydrochloride before receiving it?

Pregnancy or breastfeeding may preclude you from taking nalmefene hydrochloride. In the event that you are unable to avoid receiving nalmefene hydrochloride while pregnant or breastfeeding, tell your doctor as soon as possible. In order to make an informed treatment decision, the doctor administering this medication should also know if you have any of the following medical conditions: liver or kidney disease, heart disease for which you take medication, or a history of narcotic addition. You will need to remain in the hospital long enough for doctors to determine that you have responded well to the nalmefene hydrochloride.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...