What should I know about morphine before taking it?

Before taking morphine, you should know that it can be a very addictive medication. The Food and Drug Administration considers it a controlled substance. This means that there are special procedures and regulations for the use and procurement of this medication.

If you are on morphine for long periods of time your body will most likely become dependent on it. This is not always a sign of abuse and can occur with prescribed use. To lessen symptoms of withdrawal, do not abruptly stop using morphine. You should work with your doctor to gradually discontinue use of morphine.

Morphine might not be an option for everyone. You cannot use morphine if you do not have a tolerance for it. Some people have a reaction to morphine and others require a slow build-up to the amount of morphine they eventually need to use.

You cannot consume alcohol while taking morphine. Morphine combined with alcohol can lead to serious side effects, like difficulty breathing and death. Make sure any other prescriptions or over-the-counter medications you take while using morphine do not list alcohol as an ingredient.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...