What should I know about fentanyl iontophoretic transdermal system?

Fentanyl iontophoretic transdermal will only be prescribed to you if you are already taking another opioid narcotic such as morphine or oxycodone. It is vital that you follow the dosing procedures exactly; applying a torn patch or putting the patch over cut or burned skin can cause too much medicine to enter the system at once, increasing the odds of fatal overdose. Before you start treatment with fentanyl iontophoretic transdermal, your doctor should know if you have a history of breathing problems due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma or other diseases, liver or kidney disease, problems with your heart rhythm or a history of brain tumors or head injuries. Fentanyl iontophoretic transdermal can be habit-forming. Do not share the medication with others, and do not leave the hospital with any unused patches.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...