What should I know about Buprenex before receiving it?

Before taking Buprenex (buprenorphine) you should know that it can slow your breathing and that death can occur if your breathing weakens too much. Using Buprenex with any other medications that cause drowsiness can slow down your breathing and central nervous systems to fatal levels. Drinking alcohol while taking Buprenex can also increase certain side effects of Buprenex and can be fatal.

You should also know that Buprenex can cause withdrawal symptoms so you should never quit taking it suddenly and should stop taking it only as instructed to do so by your doctor. Because Buprenex affects your ability to think or react, exercise caution when driving or doing anything that requires alertness. If you are allergic to buprenorphine or naloxone (Narcan), you should not take Buprenex. Buprenex should never be taken within 4 hours of taking any other narcotic drug.

Let your doctor know if you are pregnant or nursing, if you have asthma or other breathing problems, kidney or liver disease, a history of mental illness or suicide attempt, a history of alcoholism or intravenous drug use, or a history of seizures, head injuries or tumors. Any of these conditions may require that your doctor adjust your dosage of Buprenex or that you avoid using Buprenex altogether.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...