What should I know about Alfenta (alfentanil) before receiving it?

Before taking Alfenta, you should know about some of the risks associated with this medication. Because Alfenta is always administered by a healthcare professional, the appropriate dosage and rate of infusion should always be used. However, since the body's response to Alfenta varies greatly from person to person, and even from one minute to the next within the same individual, there's a risk that complications may occur. Some people may experience respiratory arrest, low blood pressure, or irregular heartbeat as a result of taking Alfenta. To reduce the risks for these and other serious complications, make sure to tell your doctor your full medical history before undergoing any surgical procedure. This is especially important if you have liver or kidney problems, lung disease, or head injuries.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...