Is Opana addictive?

Opana is a potentially addictive narcotic. You may develop a tolerance to Opana, which may require your doctor to increase your dosage.

If you stop taking Opana suddenly, you may experience symptoms of withdrawal. However, a doctor can monitor your physical dependence of Opana, and can help slowly discontinue treatment so that you won't experience severe withdrawal symptoms.

Physical addiction to Opana is not the same as addiction to substances that have no medical purpose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...