If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Butrans?

If you are pregnant, it may not be safe to use Butrans (buprenorphine), a skin patch that delivers an opioid drug for continuous pain relief over seven days.

While Butrans hasn't been studied extensively in pregnancy, it is known that the active ingredient crosses the placenta and affects the developing fetus. It is particularly dangerous to use Butrans right before and up to delivery. If a woman does this, her newborn may experience breathing problems and require immediate medical care. If she has been using Butrans for some time, her baby may be born dependent on opioids and require care for possibly life-threatening withdrawal symptoms.

If you are pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, and are using Butrans for chronic pain, talk to your doctor. Even if your doctor advises you to stay on Butrans, he or she may transition you to a shorter-acting pain reliever in the weeks before your due date.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...