If I am pregnant, is it safe to use Nucynta?

If you're pregnant, you should not take Nucynta (tapentadol) unless it's absolutely necessary. Studies have not been done to confirm that Nucynta, which is an opioid drug used to treat chronic, around-the-clock pain, is safe for a developing fetus. Let your doctor know you're pregnant before you start taking Nucynta or if you become pregnant while on the drug.

Nucynta should not be used during childbirth. Like other opioids, it can affect how labor progresses and can also cross the placenta and cause breathing problems in a newborn.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...