How do I use fentanyl buccal tablets?

Take one dose of fentanyl buccal tablets for relief of breakthrough cancer pain (that is, pain of sudden onset that is not relieved by your usual pain-relief medication). If your pain persists, you may take one more dose 30 minutes later. Do not take another dose for at least four hours. Keep taking your usual pain medication. Place the tablet between your cheek and gums as directed in the label instructions. Do not chew or break open the tablet. If the tablet has not fully dissolved in 30 minutes, drink a glass of water.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...