How should I take buprenorphine medication for opioid dependence?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Usually, a person starts by taking Subutex (which contains only buprenorphine) for two days and then switches to Suboxone, which contains buprenorphine and naloxone. The naloxone is added to discourage people from dissolving the tablet and injecting it in an attempt to get high. If a person injects Suboxone, the naloxone in the drug may cause them to develop withdrawal symptoms. But when the drug is dissolved under the tongue as directed, very little naloxone enters the bloodstream, so the patient feels only the effects of the buprenorphine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...