How soon after starting Subutex will my symptoms improve?

Subutex (buprenorphine), prescribed to treat addiction to opioid drugs, may begin to improve your withdrawal symptoms within 20 to 30 minutes. Stopping opioid drugs without the help of a drug such as Subutex can cause severe withdrawal symptoms and make it hard for someone to stop taking opioids successfully. Subutex works by stopping or preventing the withdrawal symptoms associated with withdrawing from opioid use.

The first time you take Subutex, your doctor may want to make sure you are in "mild opiate withdrawal," by watching for early symptoms that may include sweating, chills, stuffy nose, watery eyes, stomach cramps and diarrhea. Once a Subutex tablet dissolves under your tongue, these symptoms should improve or disappear within about a half hour. As you continue Subutex treatment over days, weeks or months, you may no longer experience these symptoms at all.

Subutex is typically taken once a day. Each dose helps prevent opioid withdrawal symptoms for 24 hours or more.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...