How soon after starting Fentora will my symptoms improve?

You should start to experience some pain relief within five minutes of taking Fentora (fentanyl), a prescription pill used to treat cancer pain that isn't completely controlled by round-the-clock narcotic painkillers. In general, your pain should be completely relieved after 30 minutes.

If your pain isn't controlled in a half hour, your doctor may tell you that you can take one additional dose of Fentora for that pain episode. You should be sure to get your doctor's okay about taking this second dose, though. And if you repeatedly need to double your dose to achieve adequate pain relief, contact your doctor. He or she may want to reevaluate the doses of your long-acting pain medicines, as well as your dose of Fentora.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...