How should I take methadone?

If you are taking methadone because you are addicted to narcotics, you should only take it as part of a government-approved treatment program, which includes counseling and monitoring of your use. Methadone is available as a tablet to swallow, a tablet to dissolve, a concentrated liquid to drink, and an injection. This drug can be addictive. Your doctor may start you at a low dose and gradually increase dosage. If using dissolvable tablets, dissolve one tablet in water or citrus juice, and drink the entire glass. If using a concentrated solution, mix your dose in at least 1 ounce of water, citrus juice, or other juice. (Do not use grapefruit juice.) For pain relief, methadone is usually taken every 4 to 12 hours. For severe pain, it may be administered by injection.
Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Methadone (the best-known and most frequently used medication for treating opioid dependence) is taken as a pill, a tablet dissolved in juice, a liquid, or a concentrated liquid solution that must first be diluted. It is also used to treat chronic pain. It must be taken at a substance abuse clinic.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...