How should I take methadone?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Methadone (the best-known and most frequently used medication for treating opioid dependence) is taken as a pill, a tablet dissolved in juice, a liquid, or a concentrated liquid solution that must first be diluted. It is also used to treat chronic pain. It must be taken at a substance abuse clinic.
If you are taking methadone because you are addicted to narcotics, you should only take it as part of a government-approved treatment program, which includes counseling and monitoring of your use. Methadone is available as a tablet to swallow, a tablet to dissolve, a concentrated liquid to drink, and an injection. This drug can be addictive. Your doctor may start you at a low dose and gradually increase dosage. If using dissolvable tablets, dissolve one tablet in water or citrus juice, and drink the entire glass. If using a concentrated solution, mix your dose in at least 1 ounce of water, citrus juice, or other juice. (Do not use grapefruit juice.) For pain relief, methadone is usually taken every 4 to 12 hours. For severe pain, it may be administered by injection.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...