How should I take Fentora?

Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain, comes in the form of a buccal tablet -- a pill that you tuck above a back molar, between your inner cheek and upper gum line, so it can dissolve. Here are the steps you should to take to use Fentora safely:
  1. Peel back the foil on the blister packet to remove the tablet. Don't push the tablet through, because this can damage the pill. Only remove a pill if you plan to take it right away.
  2. Use Fentora tablets whole. Don't split them.
  3. Place the pill above an upper rear molar on your gum inside your cheek.
  4. Don't chew, suck or swallow the pill. Leave it in place until it dissolves, which usually takes between 15 and 30 minutes.
  5. If the pill hasn't completely dissolved within a half hour, dislodge and swallow it by drinking a glass of water.
If you start to experience dizziness, extreme sleepiness or nausea before the Fentora has completely dissolved, spit the remaining pill into the toilet and flush to insure safe disposal. Call your doctor and describe your symptoms before taking another dose of Fentora.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...