How should I take fentanyl?

You should take fentanyl exactly as directed by your doctor. How you take fentanyl depends on which form of the drug you are using. For the skin patch form of fentanyl, place the patch on dry, non-irritated skin with no cuts or abrasions. It is best to place it on a non-oily area of skin that has little to no hair on it. The patch comes in a sealed pouch. Do not remove the patch until you are ready to use it. Remove the liner from the back of the patch and place the sticky side down on your skin, holding it in place for about 30 seconds. If the patch becomes loose, tape it down with first aid tape. If it falls off, throw it away and replace it with another patch. After placing the patch, wash your hands with water only (no soap or cleansers) to remove any medicine residue from your hands.

For the lozenge form of fentanyl, do not remove the lozenge from the pouch until you are ready to use it. The lozenge comes on a stick like a sucker. Place the lozenge between your cheek and the lower gum of your mouth. Suck (do not chew) on the medicine for 15 minutes, occasionally switching sides of your mouth by using the stick. For the buccal tablet form of fentanyl, do not remove the tablet until you are ready to use it. Place the tablet between your gum and upper cheek over a molar. Let the tablet dissolve (do not suck, swallow, or chew it) over the course of 14 to 25 minutes. If it has not dissolved after 30 minutes, you can drink water to swallow the remainder of the tablet.

For the ingestible film form of fentanyl, do not open the foil pouch containing the film until you are ready to use it. Wet the inside of your cheek with your tongue or water. With a dry finger, place the pink side of the film against your cheek and hold for five seconds. It will dissolve in 15 to 30 minutes. Do not eat food until the film has dissolved. After five minutes, you can drink water or other liquids. Fentanyl also comes in an injectable form which is administered by healthcare professionals usually in a hospital setting.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...