How should I take codeine?

Codeine is often paired with other medications, such as the pain reliever acetaminophen, in either a pill or liquid form. In general codeine is taken once every four to six hours, but be sure to discuss what dosing schedule you should follow with your pharmacist. If you take codeine in liquid form, shake the bottle well before pouring. Do not use a household spoon to measure a dose; always use a medicine cup or measuring spoon. You can buy these at the pharmacy, and often they come with the medicine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...