How should I take codeine?

Codeine is often paired with other medications, such as the pain reliever acetaminophen, in either a pill or liquid form. In general codeine is taken once every four to six hours, but be sure to discuss what dosing schedule you should follow with your pharmacist. If you take codeine in liquid form, shake the bottle well before pouring. Do not use a household spoon to measure a dose; always use a medicine cup or measuring spoon. You can buy these at the pharmacy, and often they come with the medicine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...