How should I take Avinza?

Narcotic pain medications like Avinza can be dangerous if not taken correctly. Be sure to follow all of your doctor's instructions. Avinza is formulated to be taken only once daily, usually with a morning meal. You must swallow the capsules whole and not chew, crush or dissolve the capsules. Doing so could cause your body to absorb too much of the drug too quickly, possibly leading to overdose or death. Capsules may be opened and the entire bead contents sprinkled on a small amount of applesauce immediately prior to ingestion. The applesauce should be at room temperature or cooler. The mixture should be ingested immediately. Swallow the mixture without chewing or crushing beads, then rinse your mouth and swallow to ensure all beads have been ingested. Consume the entire portion and not divide the applesauce into separate doses. Avinza is a narcotic pain reliever and is therefore susceptible to theft and abuse. Be sure to keep your pills in a secure place at all times.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...