How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?

Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following:

• Tell your doctor about ALL medications you take, including over-the-counter drugs.
  • Tell your doctor if you have any of these signs associated with sleep apnea: pauses in breathing during sleep, snoring, high blood pressure, or tiredness during the day.
  • Tell those you live with that you are starting a medication that can affect your breathing. Ask them to watch for decreased breathing or the inability to wake up.
  • If breathing problems happen, they should call 911. Health care providers can inject a medication to reverse the problem.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...