How is Opana different from Opana ER?

The pain medication Opana (oxymorphone) treats short-term pain such as what you might experience after surgery. Each dose lasts four to six hours.

Opana ER is an extended-release form of the drug designed to treat continuous pain that's expected to last for a long period of time, such as chronic back pain or pain caused by cancer. Each dose lasts 12 hours. Make sure you follow the directions for the specific pill you are taking. Unlike Opana, Opana ER is more potent and can be dangerous to use if you don't follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Never crush or chew Opana ER; this could cause too much of the drug to be released into your body and cause a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...