How is Opana different from Opana ER?

The pain medication Opana (oxymorphone) treats short-term pain such as what you might experience after surgery. Each dose lasts four to six hours.

Opana ER is an extended-release form of the drug designed to treat continuous pain that's expected to last for a long period of time, such as chronic back pain or pain caused by cancer. Each dose lasts 12 hours. Make sure you follow the directions for the specific pill you are taking. Unlike Opana, Opana ER is more potent and can be dangerous to use if you don't follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Never crush or chew Opana ER; this could cause too much of the drug to be released into your body and cause a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...