How much does methadone treatment for drug addiction cost?

Methadone treatment for drug addiction is cost effective -- about $15 to $17 per day per person -- and efficient. A pioneering large-scale study on the effectiveness, benefits and costs of substance abuse treatment in California found that the people in methadone maintenance had the greatest reduction in intensity of heroin use. The study also found that methadone was the most cost-effective treatment, yielding a savings of $3 to $4 for every dollar spent. 

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...