How much does methadone treatment for drug addiction cost?

Methadone treatment for drug addiction is cost effective -- about $15 to $17 per day per person -- and efficient. A pioneering large-scale study on the effectiveness, benefits and costs of substance abuse treatment in California found that the people in methadone maintenance had the greatest reduction in intensity of heroin use. The study also found that methadone was the most cost-effective treatment, yielding a savings of $3 to $4 for every dollar spent. 

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...