How does morphine treat pain?

Morphine treats pain by attaching to receptors in the body and reducing the brain's sensitivity to pain. Morphine can be prescribed for short-term pain and be taken as needed for pain that is temporary. Morphine also may be prescribed for chronic, or long-term, pain and taken continually. For more severe pain, morphine may be taken by injection, put in an epidural or used in a pump that is attached to your body. Morphine is often used to relieve pain in people in hospice care.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...