How can I minimize the side effects of Ultram?

You can minimize the side effects of the prescription pain medication Ultram (tramadol) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than recommended. Your doctor is likely to start you on a low dose of Ultram, gradually increasing it to find the lowest dose that manages your pain.

You should not drink alcohol or take other central nervous system depressants, such as sleep aids or tranquilizers, while you are taking Ultram, because this can increase serious side effects.

To avoid the dizziness and light-headedness that is common when you first start taking Ultram, take your time when getting up from a seated or lying position: First rest your feet on the floor for a few minutes and then stand up. To help reduce constipation, another common side effect, talk to your doctor about taking stool softeners and/or laxatives. Drink plenty of fluid and try to eat foods high in fiber such as whole grains, bran, fruits and vegetables.

Certain medical conditions may increase the risk for side effects, so before you start taking Ultram, give your doctor a complete medical history. Also tell your doctor about any other prescription or over-the-counter medications, vitamins, supplements and herbal products that you take. Once you're on Ultram, do not take any new medicine or supplements without talking to your doctor first.

Pay attention to how you feel, and let your doctor know of any symptoms that bother you or don't go away. Your doctor may adjust the dose of your medication to help relieve side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...