How can I minimize the side effects of Ryzolt?

You can minimize the side effects of the long-acting prescription pain medication Ryzolt (tramadol extended-release tablets) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than recommended. To lower your risk of side effects, your doctor is likely to start you on a low dose of Ryzolt and gradually increase the amount of medication to find the lowest dose that manages your pain.

Before you start taking Ryzolt, tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, supplements and herbal products. While you're on Ryzolt, do not start any new medicine or supplements without talking to your doctor first. Certain medical conditions may increase the risk for side effects, so give your doctor a complete medical history before taking Ryzolt.

You should swallow the pill whole. Do not split, chew, dissolve or crush it, because doing so could release your whole day's dose of Ryzolt into your system at once, which could result in overdose and death. You should not drink alcohol or take other central nervous system depressants, such as sleep aids or tranquilizers, while you are taking Ryzolt, because doing so can increase the risk of serious side effects.

To avoid the dizziness and lightheadedness that is common when you start taking Ryzolt, take your time when getting up from a seated or lying position. First rest your feet on the floor for a few minutes; then stand up. To help reduce constipation, a common side effect, talk to your doctor about taking stool softeners and/or laxatives. Drink plenty of fluids and try to eat foods high in fiber such as whole grains, bran, fruits and vegetables.

Pay attention to how you feel, and let your doctor know of any symptoms that bother you or don't go away. Your doctor may adjust the dose of your medication to help relieve side effects. Do not stop taking Ryzolt without talking to your doctor first. Stopping the medicine suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...