How can I minimize the side effects of Rybix ODT?

The most effective way to minimize the risk of side effects while taking Rybix ODT (tramadol) is to follow all of your doctor's instructions for using it. Rybix ODT belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe to relieve moderate to moderately severe chronic pain. Taking these medications more often or in larger doses than your doctor prescribed increases your risk for developing side effects, which can be serious.

Do not drink alcohol while taking Rybix ODT. The combination of alcohol and Rybix ODT can increase the risk of respiratory depression -- dangerously slow and shallow breathing.

Rybix ODT is meant to dissolve on the tongue before being swallowed. This will take less than a minute. Do not chew or break the tablet or you may release too much of the drug into your system at once.

Don't stop taking Rybix ODT without talking to your doctor. He or she will want to taper you off the drug slowly so that you don't develop unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...