How can I minimize the side effects of Onsolis?

You can minimize the side effects of the cancer pain medication Onsolis (fentanyl) by taking it only as your doctor prescribes. Using it in other ways can be deadly.

Take just one dose of Onsolis when you experience an episode of breakthrough pain -- that is, pain that isn't managed by the round-the-clock drugs you're taking. If one dose isn't enough to relieve your pain, don't take more of this drug until at least two hours have passed. In the meantime, call your doctor; he or she may be able to prescribe something else for your pain. You should take no more than four doses of Onsolis a day. These measures will help you avoid the serious harm that can be caused by an overdose.

Onsolis can interact dangerously with a number of other drugs, so before you start taking it, tell your doctor about any other medication (prescription or over-the-counter) or supplements you take. Once you're on Onsolis, don't take any new drug or supplement without talking with your doctor first. You should also give your doctor a complete medical history before you start taking Onsolis because some health problems increase your risk of serious side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...