How can I minimize the side effects of Nucynta?

To minimize one of the most common side effects of the pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) -- feeling dizzy or lightheaded when you get up after sitting or lying down for a while -- change your position slowly: Rest your feet on the floor for a few minutes before standing.

If constipation is a problem while you're taking Nucynta, dietary changes might help. Eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grains may make it easier to move your bowels. You can also ask your doctor about taking a laxative and/or stool softener.

Nucynta has other possible side effects. The best way to prevent or minimize them is to take Nucynta exactly as it's prescribed -- don't take more or less of the drug or take it more or less often than your doctor tells you to -- and be sure to call your doctor if you develop any side effects that are bothersome or won't go away or that are serious. However, don't stop taking Nucynta without talking to your doctor first: Quitting abruptly can bring on symptoms of withdrawal.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...