How can I minimize the side effects of Fentora?

There are a number of ways you can minimize the side effects of Fentora (fentanyl), an opioid for treating breakthrough cancer pain. Most important is to carefully follow your doctor's dosing instructions. Fentora can cause life-threatening breathing problems if you take too much or use it too frequently. You should stop taking Fentora and contact your doctor right away if you experience breathing difficulties, feel faint or dizzy, or get exceedingly drowsy after taking a dose. These could be signs your dose is too high.

Fentora can interact with many other drugs, potentially causing problems, so you before you start using it you should tell your doctor everything you are taking. You should avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while on Fentora, because they can increase your blood level of Fentora's active ingredient, fentanyl, raising your risk of side effects and of an overdose. Alcohol also increases the risk of serious side effects; minimize those dangers by not drinking while you're taking this medication.

Fentora can also have a number of less serious side effects. For instance, it can cause constipation. You can minimize or prevent this with the help of stool softeners, laxatives and switching to a higher fiber diet. Talk to your doctor about designing a treatment plan that you can tolerate.

The area inside your mouth where you place a Fentora tablet to dissolve -- on your gum or cheek -- can become sore and irritated. One way to minimize this is to alternate the sides of your mouth where you put the tablet, and to shift the spot where you place the pill slightly each time so that it doesn't always sit in the same place.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...