How can I minimize the side effects of Butrans?

You can minimize the side effects of Butrans (buprenorphine) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes and promptly reporting any bothersome side effects.

Butrans is a seven-day patch that delivers an opioid painkiller for the treatment of moderate to severe pain that requires round-the-clock treatment. Pay attention to warnings and cautions that your doctor gives you, such as making sure not to expose your skin to external heat sources such as a heat lamp (this can cause the opioid to be released too quickly -- a dangerous thing). Don't increase the dose on your own, because that can greatly increase the risk of adverse side effects.

Before you start using Butrans, make sure your doctor knows about all your other medications, whether prescription or over-the-counter, and any dietary or herbal supplements you take. You should also give your doctor a complete medical history, including current and past problems, because some conditions can increase the risk from Butrans.

Your doctor will have other instructions for you. It's important to follow them closely.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...