How can I minimize the side effects of Butrans?

You can minimize the side effects of Butrans (buprenorphine) by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes and promptly reporting any bothersome side effects.

Butrans is a seven-day patch that delivers an opioid painkiller for the treatment of moderate to severe pain that requires round-the-clock treatment. Pay attention to warnings and cautions that your doctor gives you, such as making sure not to expose your skin to external heat sources such as a heat lamp (this can cause the opioid to be released too quickly -- a dangerous thing). Don't increase the dose on your own, because that can greatly increase the risk of adverse side effects.

Before you start using Butrans, make sure your doctor knows about all your other medications, whether prescription or over-the-counter, and any dietary or herbal supplements you take. You should also give your doctor a complete medical history, including current and past problems, because some conditions can increase the risk from Butrans.

Your doctor will have other instructions for you. It's important to follow them closely.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...