How can I minimize the side effects of Buprenex?

To minimize any side effects you might develop after an injection of the pain medication Buprenex (buprenorphine), it's essential that your doctor has your complete medical history before you receive the drug. It's also vital that you give him or her a list of all medications you take, because certain ones are known to worsen side effects from Buprenex. For example, if you take a drug that's a benzodiazepine, such as alprazolam (Xanax), which treats anxiety, or triazolam (Halcion), a sleeping aid, it could worsen the drowsiness that's a common side effect of Buprenex. The same is true of alcohol. The combination can also cause your blood pressure to drop too low. If you take a benzodiazepine or if you drink while receiving Buprenex, you shouldn't do anything that requires you to be totally alert, such as drive or operate machinery. There also have been reports of breathing and heart problems in people taking MAO inhibitors (a class of drug often used to treat depression) who've been given Buprenex. These are only a few of the drugs that can increase side effects from Buprenex, so don't leave anything off of your list, even over-the-counter products, herbal remedies and supplements.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...