How can I minimize the side effects of Actiq?

You can minimize the side effects of the cancer-pain medication Actiq (fentanyl) by telling your doctor about any medical condition you have or medication you take (including prescription and over-the-counter drugs and supplements, especially St. John's wort), by carefully following his or her instructions on how to take Actiq and by reporting any side effects that bother you.

Tell your doctor if you're allergic to fentanyl (the active ingredient in Actiq) or to any other medications, and because fentanyl can be habit-forming, tell him or her if you or anyone in your family has or has had an alcohol or drug abuse problem. If you're having surgery, let your surgeon know you're taking Actiq: It can cause dizziness or light-headedness, which you can minimize by getting out of bed slowly. If you have diabetes, be aware that Actiq contains a small amount of sugar (2 grams), and tell your doctor.

Actiq can cause dental problems, so make sure your dentist knows that you're taking it so that he or she can help minimize them. Finally, be aware that Actiq can cause constipation, which you may be able to avoid by changing your diet or trying another medication.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...