How can I minimize the side effects of MS Contin?

Your doctor will take the first steps toward minimizing (or completely preventing) side effects of the chronic pain relief medication MS Contin (morphine) by prescribing the lowest effective dose. Once you've started taking MS Contin, follow his or her instructions to the letter: Do not take more or less of the drug than prescribed or take it more or less often than prescribed.

Do not drink alcohol while taking MS Contin: Both MS Contin and alcohol can affect the central nervous system, causing extreme sleepiness, low blood pressure and respiratory depression, in which breathing becomes dangerously slow -- possibly leading to coma and even death. Certain drugs can interact with MS Contin in the same way, such as sedatives, sleeping pills, muscle relaxants and antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Do not take any of these medications while taking MS Contin, and give your doctor a list of all medications (including over-the-counter drugs and supplements) that you take so that he or she can check for any that might interact dangerously with MS Contin.

If a less serious side effect of MS Contin, such as constipation, is bothersome, your doctor or nurse may be able to help you deal with it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...