How does Duragesic interact with other medications and food?

Since Duragesic can interact with other medications, it is important to tell your doctor if you are taking HIV medications, antibiotics, diltiazem, phenytoin or carbamazepine. Over-the-counter supplements such as vitamins and St. John's Wort can also interact with Duragesic. A Duragesic dosage change may be necessary in order to prevent adverse reactions and to preserve the effectiveness the drug. Alcohol consumption can cause increased drowsiness and should be avoided while taking Duragesic.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...