Does Avinza cause dental damage?

Yes, Avinza (morphine) and other narcotic analgesics can cause damage to the teeth and mouth. One of the side effects of Avinza is dry mouth. Because saliva helps keep your mouth healthy, a dry mouth is more susceptible to dental disease, fungal infections, gum disease and tooth decay. For mild dry mouth, try sucking sugarless candy, chewing gum, eating ice chips or using a saliva substitute. If your dry mouth lasts longer than two weeks, talk to your dentist about treatment options that will decrease your risk of dental damage.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...