How does codeine interact with other medications?

Codeine may cause general drowsiness and may increase the effectiveness of other sedative-type drugs including alcohol. Codeine may increase the depressant effect of other anesthetics and narcotic analgesics as well as phenothiazines. Using sodium oxybate and cimetidine with Codeine may increase the risk of seizures and breathing problems. MAOI's, tricyclic antidepressants, and HIV protease inhibitors may increase the potential for side effects from Codeine .

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...