Can I use Ultram if I have a history of asthma?

If you have a history of asthma, talk to your doctor before taking Ultram (tramadol), a prescription drug for moderate to moderately severe pain. Some studies suggest that Ultram may actually be a good opioid pain medication option for people with asthma because it does not release histamine, a chemical that can trigger asthma symptoms and flare-ups.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...