Can I use Subutex if I have a history of thyroid disease?

If you have thyroid disease, talk to your doctor before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, such as heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Having an underactive thyroid, also called hypothyroidism, may increase your risk of side effects if you take Subutex. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Subutex, thyroid hormone or both and may monitor you closely for side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...