Can I use Subutex if I am taking zafirlukast?

If you are taking zafirlukast, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Subutex can cause serious breathing problems, especially for people who already have breathing problems. Since zafirlukast is used to prevent asthma symptoms, it may make your doctor use caution in prescribing Subutex. Zafirlukast may also interact with Subutex, potentially affecting how well one or both drugs work and possibly raising your risk for serious breathing problems. If you need to take both drugs, your doctor may adjust your doses and monitor you closely for side effects.

Zafirlukast is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...