Can I use Subutex if I am taking verapamil?

If you are taking verapamil, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Verapamil, a treatment for high blood pressure and chest pain, may interact with Subutex, possibly affecting how well one or both drugs work and raising your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your doses and monitor you for side effects.

Verapamil is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...