Can I use Subutex if I am taking troleandomycin?

If you are taking the antibiotic troleandomycin, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat addiction to opioids, including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Troleandomycin may raise your blood levels of Subutex if the drugs are taken together. That may raise your risk of side effects. If you need to take both drugs, your doctor may adjust your dose of Subutex and monitor you closely.

Troleandomycin is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...