Can I use Subutex if I am taking phenytoin?

If you are taking the seizure drug phenytoin, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat adults addicted to opioids including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Phenytoin and other drugs prescribed to treat seizures may interact with Subutex; that may affect how well one or both drugs work and raise your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of one or both medicines and monitor you closely for side effects.

Phenytoin is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...