Can I use Subutex if I am taking phenytoin?

If you are taking the seizure drug phenytoin, talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking Subutex (buprenorphine), a medicine that helps treat adults addicted to opioids including heroin, morphine and other narcotic painkillers. Phenytoin and other drugs prescribed to treat seizures may interact with Subutex; that may affect how well one or both drugs work and raise your risk for side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of one or both medicines and monitor you closely for side effects.

Phenytoin is one of many drugs that may interact with Subutex. Before starting treatment with Subutex, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements. Once you're on Subutex, do not take any new drug or supplement without checking with your doctor and pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...